Patent Translation Practices.
Welcome to the Patent Translation Practices Results. This report reflects a diverse group of twenty-nine patent-driven global companies.
Patent translation is a critical concern for companies filing for patent protection in countries that don’t accept the language of their original application. This survey was designed to explore the key considerations companies ensue and identify the prevailing and best practices.
As part of an ongoing focus on patent operations, ipPerformance conducted an online survey in 2017, preceded by a qualitative phone discussion with individuals within large organizations that are responsible for patent translation decisions and management. The survey, data collection, and analysis were conducted by ipPerformance Group.
Active in intellectual property (IP) operations best practices, ipPerformance wanted to help IP leaders discover peer approaches for patent translations.
The objective was to qualify insights using quantifiable data to identify:
- Type of service providers use to translate patent applications.
- Best methods for ensuring accuracy of translation.
- Cost impact of patent translations on total patent foreign prosecution cost.
- Frequency of incorrect translations and common issues that result.
- Average translation costs for seven key languages